Monday, June 21, 2010

June 21, 2010 Why is the rum gone?

I don't know about you, but my weekend was just one party after another.  My dad lives pretty far away, so I sent him a lovely fruit bouquet, which I doubt lasted more than an hour after its receipt.  My son spent the weekend with his dad, so I was pretty well on my own, and that worked out well.

Friday's girls' night out was a better-than-standard bar room lush-fest, complete with requisite singing to the '80s, one really drunk chick that needed supervision (it wasn't me this time), and somebody who went dancing at the gay bars at 3 a.m. (also not me).

Saturday was a little more organized, but not without its excitement.  I belong to a group of people who like to play pirates and wenches on the weekends.  We dress up, pretend, DRINK, and throw parties just for the hell of it.  Surprisingly enough, we're pretty organized...for pirates.  We inaugurated our new leaders: President, Vice President (or president of vice, as she prefers to be called), Treasurer, etc.  It was hotter than Hades outside, but damned if we were going to let that stop us.  We had a barbecue and potluck outside anyway, dammit!

Even more fabulous is that the Bacardi reps were there, "teaching" us all how to make Mojitos, oh-so-refreshing and delicious drinks made with RUM!  It's a pirate/wench's dream. They even gave us free "mottlers" so we could keep doing it ourselves at home. Of course, you can go to Barcardi's website and find the recipe, but I'll paraphrase it here for you if you just don't feel like doing the work (you lazy goat).

In your cup, you squish (mottle) about half a lime, 2 large leaves of mint, add sugar or simple syrup, fill up with ice, add a shot of rum and then top off with club soda.  Yummmm!

Once the Bacardi girls were gone, along with the mint, limes and sugar, there was still rum left over (there should always be enough rum at a pirate event).  I got creative and decided to mottle some watermelon that was on the food table into my cup.  Then I added some spiced rum to that, and it was delicious, too.

Fortunately, this was a long-lasting event, and I had time to sober up before going two blocks over to my pal Melissa's place to sit and watch DVDs of True Blood until I was tired enough to call it a full night.  And I did indeed call it a full night.

2 comments: