Monday, June 14, 2010

June 14, 2010 Flag Day

Today I'll celebrate Flag Day by thinking a little differently about Patriotism.  Today I'm focusing more on what's in the trash than what's in the fridge.

I try to avoid using plastic baggies and other disposable plastics, too. Why? To avoid using petroleum products.  I do keep a stack of those "disposable" containers made by Glad and Ziploc. They come in handy, can be used for a very long time, and if the time comes when they are just too nasty to keep anymore, you can just throw them away, or better yet, RECYCLE them! 

Plastic baggies are convenient, but they're a lot more likely to be thrown in the trash than recycled. Besides, if you have a lot of stuff in the fridge in baggies, they don't exactly stack well. As jam-packed as my refrigerator gets sometimes, it's nice to be able to stack things up.  Plastic grocery bags can double as garbage bags, saving the money for those kitchen can and wastebasket liners.

We have an awful crisis going on down here. Oil that should be used in transition to cleaner energy is instead spewing in unprecedented quantities into our beautiful gulf and marshlands.  Plastic is an amazing substance and has made so many things in life better.  But what are we sacrificing for it?  It's time to use something a little more sustainable or just re-use the plastics we already have.  Sunchips(TM) manufactures their products using all solar energy, and their bags are biodegradable.  Now THAT's dedication!

To do my little part, I recycle practically everything. Once a month, I drive a few miles to the recycling center and drop off at least two large garbage bags of cardboard, paper, aluminum and plastic. My garbage can hardly ever goes to the street, because there's hardly ever anything in it. In fact, all my peelings, seeds, pits, stems, scrapings, etc., go into a compost pile in the farthest reaches of my backyard. 

I'm not patting myself on the back. Anybody can do these things, and I would venture to say that most of my friends and readers already do. Since I'm not an engineer or really tech savvy, I can't design an electric car or make my own solar collection cells or a water-powered air conditioner. This is all I know how to do, so I do it.

It's our patriotic duty to preserve and recycle the materials we have in this country, to take advantage of the technology our great country has developed for the good of the world, especially since we are such a large part of the earth and are the largest consumer of all materials and energy on the whole planet.

Happy Flag Day.  Wave it proudly.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunchips does its part, but they've allowed the public to misinfer the extent of Sunchips' use of solar energy. Sunchips uses solar energy for only part of the power it needs to run only its Modesto, CA plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know. Still happy they're using it at all. Thanks for sharing, sleiopnir214, whoever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think people lose sight of the fact that if everyone did their part (or even just part of their part) it would make the world a better place. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete