Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June 16, 2010 Restrictions, reshmictions.

The more restrictions I acquire, the harder I try to find a way to still enjoy the foods I love to eat.  Over the years I've gone through diets and phases.  For a few years I did Sugarbusters, avoiding all sugar and starches that weren't whole grain (that was my hot-body phase).  I was a vegetarian for a very long time and still don't eat any animal above fowl on the food chain.  And now, aside from ordinary grass and pollen allergies, I've discovered that my body rejects yet another ordinary substance--gluten.

You may ask, "Don't all those dietary restrictions make it easy to lose weight?"  With the exception of Sugarbusters, no.  Quite the contrary, as a matter of fact.  Right after my son was born (and I had gained a LOT of weight), I was invited to partake in some deer meat that a friend's father had brought to the office, but I refused, stating that I didn't eat red meat.  His reaction: "You don't look like you're missing any meals."  A sobering comment from a rude, but truthful, old man. Anything consumed in excess is bad, no matter what else I omit, but it seems the more restrictions I have, the harder I try to find other ways to enjoy the foods I love.

I love beignets, or French donuts, as do many people.  In fact, I have experimented in the past and figured out how to make them with whole wheat flour (as if that made them healthier).  Now I have to start all over again.  Since corn flour can sometimes be used on a gluten-free diet when regular flour can't, I decided to try something on the spur of the moment.  If you're like me, and your favorite part of the beignet is the crunchy part, then you'll love this one.  What's great is that it's so rich and sweet, I really couldn't eat a lot of it.  It's certainly not the healthiest shortcut, but it might just satisfy that craving for a decadent snack within moderation, and without spending hours rolling dough and messing up the kitchen.

Today's Find:  Plain old corn tortillas (with no wheat flour in them)
Fast Fritters
Vegetable oil
Corn tortillas
Powdered sugar

Heat about an inch of the oil to medium/medium-high in a metal pan.  Test it by dropping a small piece of tortilla in the oil and if the oil is hot enough, it'll puff right up.  Once the oil is the right temp, you can drop a whole (small) tortilla into the oil with a pair of tongs and let it fry until golden brown (that's when it's the crunchiest).  Remove it from the oil with your tongs and place it on a plate lined with a paper towel or coffee filter.  When the oil is almost dry, sift powdered sugar over it and enjoy a quick, simple treat.

This satisfied my craving for beignets without going overboard, and my son liked it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment