Friday, June 18, 2010

June 18, 2010 Polish What?

My super-duper pal and favorite guzzling buddy, Melissa, comes from Pennsylvania.  Although she has become thoroughly assimilated in the whole Louisiana culture, I still listen to endless rantings about "back home we do such-and-such," and "you can only get good such-and-such up North."  If it's not enough that she's from there, her roommate is, too, as well as many other Yankee friends and acquaintances.

Never having been to Yankee-Land myself, there are things I've only heard about but never experienced: Special pretzels that couldn't possibly be replicated "probably because of the water" (that one came from her roommate, whom I've since dubbed "Pretzel-boy"); "authentic" pizza that even generations of Italians in the South don't know how to make right; a specific chicken marinade that tastes a lot like Italian dressing.  You get the idea.  Well, I feel the same way about so-called "Cajun" cooking anywhere else in the country, so I guess I shouldn't judge.

I focused on my friend's obsession with a thing called a pierogie.  I had never heard of one, much less spelled or tasted it, and it took all of her descriptive power for me to still not have a clue what it was or what it might taste like.  She and the other transplanted Yankees tried to tell me what it was, most of them being non-cooks, offering me the brand name of one that was sold in certain stores down here, etc., but I still had no idea whether I even wanted to try one.  This project is why my blog has been a little boring for the past couple of days.  It was a surprise, and Melissa reads my blog.

Since my friend was in Yankee-Land visiting family over her birthday, I decided to try my hand at making one of these elusive wonders to surprise her when she got back.  I found a recipe online and set about creating a pierogie.  It wasn't a difficult recipe, but I was missing some of the ingredients that I had to go out and get, and it was a bit of a learning curve to get all the steps right.

If you'd like the recipe, here's the link I used:  http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/recipes/r/pierogies.htm

After preparing the filling, mixing, rolling and cutting the dough, filling the dough with the filling, boiling the little ravioli-ish packages and then sauteing them in butter and onions, I finally had finished pierogies.  Only one problem.  I can't eat them. 

I had to find a Yankee native that could tell me whether this thing was any good or not BEFORE I surprised my friend with it.  I do at least pride myself on making good food, whether it is perfect or not, but I wanted this one to be a little bit more impressive.

I contacted another dear Yankee, Miss Kate, and asked her to taste-test the pierogie.  She wholeheartedly agreed.  I made the short trek over the river to present it for tasting, and she was most complimentary about its authentic taste and good flavor.  I solicited a few suggestions for improvement, which she gave and I took very seriously. 

Yesterday evening, I happily served my pal the beloved homemade birthday pierogies, and she was so grateful she ate 5 of them.  To a cook, that's the biggest compliment anyone could ever state in words.  She was so well stuffed that she barely had enough room for the chocolate mousse I made for dessert.  Good thing I had plasticware containers.

3 comments:

  1. I love you, even more than I love homemade pierogies. Thanks for an awesome dinner! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spiedie sauce is the Italian dressing like marinade she's talking about. Spiedie chicken was one of her favorite dishes when we lived together. I'm glad she's got great friends like you down there in NOLA Ann Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Lymey too. I have awesome friends all over the place! Woohoo, I am a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete